My friend Leslie asked for soup recipes a couple of weeks back and I fully intended to put some up for her, but it just never happened...
Instead I...
1. got a new front tire because the old one kept going flat and then finally stranded me at the gas station in Gosport...
2. froze and then busted some water pipes when I accidentally turned the water off on the coldest night of the year
3. paid a construction crew to bust our propane line, they were here to fix the foundation before it collapses and just happened to hit the line...
4. got a TON of snow... that held us captive in our home for 2 days
5. put the van in the shop because something went wrong with the battery
6. had the truck towed to the shop because while I was trying to get up our icy driveway the clutch went out, I put the emergency break on and then got out to see if I was out of the way of traffic and if there was a flat place I could roll to backwards... while I surveyed the damage the truck decided to roll back. I grabbed the side to try and stop it and only succeeded in sliding along with it, luckily it rolled in an arc and ended up with the back end in the ditch and nose out in the road. I then schlepped my self down the long drive to break the news to hubby, that something was very wrong with the pick up and I walked home because it
rolleditselfintotheditch....
and now for the soup recipes...
Taco Soup
Ingredients:
1lb hamburger
diced onion
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can whole kernal corn
1 can green chiles
1 can chile HOT beans
1 lg. can tomato juice
shredded cheese
tortilla chips
sour cream
Brown hamburger and onion ( i don't like a lot of onion so I use maybe half of a small onion, if you like more, use more.)
Once hamburger is browned add all ingredients to a large pot and simmer until heated throughout. To serve we like to top with the chips, cheese, and sour cream. We mix it all up so it is thick and creamy. I crunch up the chips and mix them in as well. The recipe is from Julia Hudelson and I hope I didn't mess it up. I typed it from memory. It has become one of our favorites!!!!
Potato Soup
I am going to type it just how I have it...
Boil 6-8 potatoes - pour off water
add milk 2-3 cups and salt and pepper to taste.
add broccoli ( I chop up 1 good sized head into really tiny pieces)
add a couple shakes of dried onion
**if she has it she will also add in bacon grease - which tastes REALLY good
cook on low
In small sauce pan heat
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup bisquick
stir until butter melts and then add 2 cups milk
when it thickens add cheese. I put in lots of cheese but I think she probably adds about a cup
when that melts add to the potatoes and heat through out. With a fork mash about a quarter of the potatoes and mix in. I do this as I mix it together.
** We like it really thick so we add more cheese than she does and Instead of mashing some of them up, I have used instant potatoes. Also if you don't want to use that much milk you can leave some of the original water. The only measurements I follow are the butter and bisquick. The others are just done to taste and texture.
Enjoy!!!
Saturday, February 07, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Sounds like the long way of saying "you wrecked the truck".
and you sound like my husband... I don't think it qualifies as wrecked if there is NO damage from it rolling backwards and coming to a REST in a very shallow ditch. The clutch went out because someone that drives it the majority of the time uses the clutch like a brake. I just happened to be the one driving it because said person from above had already broken my van.
Post a Comment