Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hey y'all


Well this is my first post ever...I am not sure what will be put here or when so stop by often...with that said I will start with some background information. I am not originally a Hoosier, which makes this a little funny to those who knew me in my earlier years. I now live on an 80 acre farm in rural Indiana and when I say rural I mean rural...we are at least 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store which is called Babbs and is NOT a chain of any kind, but a local down home kind of store. My closest neighbors, not including the family that lives on the farm, are not what you would call next door they are "the next farm over". When giving directions we are the 3rd farm on the left, so I can't easily walk over for cup of milk. At this time there is corn in the front field which means we can only see the rooftops of Chris' mom and brother's homes. We have 80 acres total but only 40 of it is farmed, the other 40 has our homes, barn, a pond and woods!!! The picture above is of our tractor with the bush hog...something I had never heard of...it mows the grass that is too tall for the mower. It usually is parked under the barn lean to but that is full of straw right now...

This is our 100 year old+ farm house, we are hoping to add a deck on the front this summer, there is a lot of work to be done but the old home does have a lot of character. Chris' dad grew up in this house, it didn't have central heat or air and they used an outhouse!!!

The big blue structure is about 1,000 bales of straw, unlike in the Imperial Valley, we have to hand throw all of these bales, and stack them and then cover them to protect them from the rain. Around here the small square bales are few and far between, most farmers bale the large round kind. These will go for about $3 a bale.

1 comment:

SunJane said...

This is such cool info! I love knowing all about your farm life. It's so distinctly different than beach life, expect that both of us mommies love being at home with our little girls do "at home" stuff.